Spring has sprung

And with it my spring wardrobe. I'll get there. Indulge me a bit first.


The arrival of spring really is the sweetest time of the year. I love the long nights of summer, the crisp chilliness of autumn, the cosiness of winter, but nothing compares to those first warming rays of sunshine after a long winter. The first snowdrops. Followed by the first daffodils. The apple and cherry blossoms. The first tender leaves on trees. Birdsong. It's like a happiness pill. I become a different person with the arrival of spring. A better me. Me 2.0.

So as soon as spring arrived I embraced it. I found myself a new hobby that means I have a good reason to be outside soaking up the sunshine every free minute - gardening. I've turned the conservatory into a temporary greenhouse while preparing the soil in the garden for my tender seedlings. I have grand plans. Big dreams. My ultimate dream is coming home from work a balmy July evening, uncorking a chilled bottle of wine, and making dinner with vegetable I've grown from tiny little seeds. Eating and drinking with friends well into the night (obviously this dream takes place on a Friday).

All this while wearing something me-made. This is where the spring wardrobe comes in. The new hobby does not displace the old. With longer days and more energy there is time for both. So while I am planning my vegetable garden I am also planning my spring wardrobe. I've gone about both projects in much the same way. Decided what I want to make/grow, ordered the materials, and started the prep. Now that the seeds have germinated and my seedlings are growing in the conservatory I've started sewing. I don't have much to show yet, but it wouldn't be spring without some florals, so I've started off with this floral pencil skirt.



The pattern is the Axel skirt by Megan Nielsen. I've always been a fan of her simple, timeless designs with a little modern detail. So far I've made two Darling Ranges, one Kelly skirt (which never saw the light of day because I realised I hated my fabric choice, which isn't exactly a fixable problem) and now two Axels.

The Axel blew my mind. It is so simple, but so perfect. I made the Colette Mabel skirt last year and it just didn't work for my body type. I was so disappointed, because I love how it looks on others. The Axel suits my body the way I wanted the Mabel to. And it's so quick to make! I love quick makes. Sure, something slow and complicated is satisfying, but something quick and easy means half a new outfit in one sewing session. Clearly, I'm not one for delayed gratification.

I made one version 2 without the hip sashes (see photos below), and one version 3 (above). I have nothing but praise for either. The designs and pattern instructions are perfect. This is a great pattern for both beginners and experienced sewers.


My version 2 is a simple black ponte number. It's nothing special (aside from fantastic fit and superb comfort!), but a great wardrobe staple. I expect that I will wear it until it falls apart. And then immediately make another.

I made version 3 in a lovely floral scuba. I've not worked much with scuba as I'm not a huge fan of synthetics (but oh boy is that changing! more on that topic coming in a different post), so I was very pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to work with it. The only difficulty is pressing as it doesn't respond well to heat.  I find using a lot of steam and keeping the iron on the fabric for a bit longer than normal to lock in the heat works well. Just don't use too high heat as it is a synthetic after all.

I have so many more spring projects planned, and so many things to sow in the garden! Good thing the Easter long weekend is coming up!



No comments