The Tessuti Ruby top that made me love sewing again



My last blog post was in February and to be honest there hasn't been much sewing since. In March I started the Kelly Anorak and 1) it was really difficult in my chosen fabric, and 2) I was really busy with life in general and progress was superslow.

Somewhere between difficult and stressed I fell out of love with sewing. I was honestly so fed up with it. The whole point of it was that it is meant to be enjoyable, and I was not having fun. I'll tell you the whole story of the Kelly in its own post eventually, but yeah, it wasn't my favourite thing to sew. It's neither the pattern's nor the fabric's fault. It's the combination of the two with lack of time. Just terrible combo.

But I kept going with the jacket and by the end of May I only had the snaps left (which I still haven't added). And when it was almost done and it had turned out pretty good that fed up feeling started to get replaced with a 'ooh, what will I make next?' feeling. I couldn't face anything even slightly difficult, so I decided on a very simple top - the Ruby top by Tessuti.

I had one metre of some blue rayon which was perfect for it. And this pattern was just the palate cleanser I needed after 2.5 months of sewing with oilcloth. It was so easy. And so quick. And turned out so well, with no modifications whatsoever.


But also, it is so good for the current heatwave we're having! Rayon is floaty and cool, so it's ideal for warm temperatures. I have been wearing this top pretty much non-stop since I made it.

Including on my birthday, two weeks ago. I really fancied going hiking, so that's what we did. Around the beautiful village of Castleton and up Mam Tor. Probably my favourite Peak District hike so far. Since I don't have any more photos of the top to show, here's some from the hike.


No comments